We previously announced the names of the authors whose works made them Finalists for a 2022 Darrell Award in one or more category.
Now, it’s time to announce the works that have been chosen for recognition.
Best Midsouth Novel
- The Dragons of Styx by John E. Siers
- The Ferryman by John E. Siers
- The Girl Who Had No Shadow by John and Victoria Babb
- Serpent’s Mark by Beth Alvarez
Best Midsouth Novella
- Madam & The Map: A Journey in Five Movements by Sheree Renée Thomas (in Nine Bar Blues collection)
- Shadows Before Sunrise by Melissa Olthoff (in It Takes All Kinds anthology)
Best Midsouth Short Story
- Dead Man’s Hand by Phyllis Appleby (in Lies Along the Mississippi anthology)
- Five-Six-Seven-Eight by Jim Paavola (in Lies Along the Mississippi anthology)
- The Orisha’s Handmaiden by Angelyn Sherrod (in Lies Along the Mississippi anthology)
- Never Alone by Angelyn Sherrod (in Lies Along the Mississippi anthology)
- Shanequa’s Blues — Or Another Shotgun Lullaby by Sheree Renée Thomas (in Nine Bar Blues collection)
- Well Being by Elden Lee
There were no nominations received for Young Adult or Other Media works.
As previously announced, Sheree Renee Thomas is the 2022 winner of our Dal Coger Memorial Hall of Fame. See that annoucement here.
Thanks to the generosity of the MidSouthCon Board, the Darrell Awards Jury is pleased to invite each of the named authors to be our guests at the Awards Banquet at MidSouthCon on Saturday, March 26, 2022.
Each of the Finalists will have a one day (Saturday only) pass and a Banquet ticket waiting for them at Convention Registration on Saturday March 26.
For details on MidSouthCon, please see their website at midsouthcon.org
The winners will each receive a plaque. The First Runners Up and other Finalists will each receive a framed certificate if they are present at the Awards Banquet.
For any winners who do not attend the Banquet, their plaque will be shipped to them.
For Finalists who do not attend, their certificate will be mailed to them. (Those mailed will be unframed due to the expenses involved with shipping.)
Congratulations to all the Finalists. Please join us at the Banquet to see who won — or check back here after the Convention is over for that announcement.